There is no doubt that you are not the only one auditioning and being interviewed, but what makes you stand out? How do you know what to do to be original? How do you go about being different during an interview but still act professional? You need to know these tips on how to stand out and be different while still being professional to help your casting interview go the best it can possibly go. You want them to remember you by how you acted, how you performed, and how professional you were. You need to make them remember your name.
- Go in with a confident attitude: Do not look for any type of validation from the casting director. Make sure your tone is confident and you know what you want and how you are going to get it. Go in thinking this job is mine. When being interviewed have a positive energy, do not let them wreck that energy because they might try to. It is your goal to keep this confidence and positive energy. This energy will show the casting director you are different than the rest.
- Be prepared. Learn the script. Make it your own and make it original. Read it different than everyone else. Make it believable. Read with confidence, professionalism, and the tone that you are trying to portray your character is in. Learn your emotions and make sure you know how to portray them. Portraying your emotions is key when you are trying to stand out. Many people have trouble portraying emotions. Practice this.
- Dress in an appropriate manner. Wear something professional and nice. Do not have ripped jeans and your cleavage showing. Do not have any skin that shouldn’t be showing hanging out. A casting director would rather see you in a nice pair of jeans and a t-shirt then ripped jeans or short shorts and a belly shirt. If you are a male in an interview it is important to make sure your clothes are professional or casual as well. It is important you have no stains on your shirt and no ripped jeans as well. Simple is better when it comes to this.
- Take direction and be kind. Know what your director is asking so you can properly do what they are asking. If you do not understand them, kindly ask them to reword it or help you. If you are kind and polite they will be willing to help. If you are rude you will most likely not get the role.
- Be yourself. Let your personality shine through. Many people think they should be serious and take this really seriously and they forget to let their personality shine through. This is, however, one of the most important things to let shine through during your casting interview. Your casting director is looking for your personality so he or she can fit you to a role. Personality is all about acting. You cannot be a serious Sally all the time because how will your casting director know if you are a funny person or a serious person or even a person who has any personality at all? This is where you will win over your casting director if you have a great personality.
When going into a casting interview it is important not only to know the material but to be yourself. It is important that you are aware of your surrounding and to be kind. Kindness can help you go a long ways in this industry. It is important that you ask questions, be kind, and be yourself.